You can lose body fat just by augmenting any of these three factors that consist of diet, exercise and your supplement regimen. And for this, the slow-carb diet formula comes up that people usually follow.
This low-carb diet is based on some fundamental rules that suggest us the basics of the diet. So, let’s us understand some more about the slow-carb diet.
What Is the Slow-Carb Diet?
Though, the term slow-carb diet was formed by Timothy Ferriss, in his book the 4-Hour Body. Therefore, it is also known as Tim Ferris slow carb diet.
So, as suggested by Timothy Ferriss it is constructed on the five rules, which are calm to be follow by any individual.
Whereas ensuing the slow-carb diet, you can eat only from a listed food items that is allowed to be consumed for about six uninterrupted days. It suggests you to limit your meals to four each day and at the same time evade consuming some of the refined carbs, fruits or some high calorie drinks or items.
The slow-carb diet solitary assimilates five foremost groups of food items, that are as:
- Animal protein group
- Vegetables group
- Legumes group
- Fats group and
- Spices group.
You can eat as abundant amount of food as you want but only the food listed and some of the four meals each day which will help you to lose weight by growing the halt of fats and enhancing the feelings of chubbiness.
Quick Tips While Following Slow-Carb Diet:
Your diet in a shell: You can eat lean meats, beans, and veggies, whereas you cannot eat fruit, white foods (bread, potatoes, pasta), or sugar.
Buy the book. As, the slow-carb diet is based on Tim Ferriss’ book, The 4-Hour Body. So, you can purchase the book for a healthy 4 hour body slow carb diet.
Get a diet buddy. You can consult a family member, friend or coworker to know the slow carb diet results.
Rules of the Slow-Carb Diet
- Rule #1: You need to Evade the “White” Carbohydrates from your diet
You need to avoid consumption of any type of “white” carbohydrates. The white carbohydrates comprise of all kinds of managed carbohydrates. Some examples of the white carbohydrates’ foods are bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, and grains.
- Rule #2: You should Eat the Similar Limited Meals Over and Over Again
The Tim Ferris slow carb diet suggests that there are thousands of nutrients accessible, but only a scarce amount of foods are there which will not the reason for the weight gain.
- Rule #3: You should not take up Calories
You can drink profuse amount of water during the day, but taking up calories in the form of drinks is not allowed as per the rules of the Slow-Carb Diet. You can drink non sugared tea or coffee or somewhat amount of other calorie free brew.
- Rule #4: You should not Eat Fruits
As the sugar in fruits could perhaps interrupt the weight loss method by growing the blood fat levels and declining the fat-burning capacity. So, it is recommended not to eat fruits in a Slow-Carb Diet.
- Rule #5: You can Take One Day off in each Week
You can pick one day in each week, where you can eat whatever you want to eat, without following the Slow-Carb Diet rules.
Slow Carb Diet Food List
As, the slow-carb diet is constructed on five food group items i.e. protein, vegetables, fats, legumes, and the spices. Therefore, you need to eat food according to these groups only. In the case of vegetarian individuals, you can go for vegan slow carb diet that includes other protein supplements foods especially for the ones following vegetarian slow carb diet.
Therefore, here we have presented a list of slow-carb diet foods that are permissible on the slow-carb diet:
- The Egg whites which include 1–2 whole eggs
- Chicken breast or a thigh
- Beef, rather you can also opt for grass-fed
- The Fish
- Lactose-free, unflavoured whey protein powder
- Black beans
- Pinto beans
- Red beans
- Cruciferous vegetables which include broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower and kale
- Sauerkraut and kimchi
- Green beans
- Olive oil for low temperature cooking
- Grapeseed or macadamia oil for high temperature cooking
- Nuts such as almonds
- Creamer — dairy-free and only 1–2 teaspoons (5–10 ml) per day
- Garlic salt
- White truffle ocean salt
- Some Herbs
Moreover, you can also take some Supporting Supplements with your diet which includes consumption of:
- Potassium: 99-mg tablets with each meal
- Magnesium: 400 mg per day, plus 500 mg before bed to improve sleep
- Calcium: 1,000 mg per day
Apart, from these three, there also exist some additional supplements that help in losing weight, which should be taken up as:
- Policosanol: 20–25 mg
- Alpha-lipoic acid: 100–300 mg
- Green tea flavanols (decaffeinated): Should contain at least 325 mg of epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG)
- Garlic extract: At least 200 mg
Also Read:- Snake Diet Review, Does it Works for Weight Loss
What slow carb diet foods to avoid?
Though, there exist some low crab diet foods that you may eat as much as you want, while some you cannot eat at all. So, here we have come up with some foods to avoid during the weight loss process or while following a Slow-Carb Diet.
Fructose is found in fruits, which is a simple sugar which is responsible for increasing the blood fat levels in or body. Moreover, Fructose is also responsible for enhancing the absorption of iron in humans and to decrease the levels of other minerals like copper in the body. Thus, it is recommended not to eat fruits while on The Slow-Carb Diet.
As dairy products have a low glycemic index, which helps in increasing the level of insulin in our body, which is harmful to weight loss.
You cannot consume any fried foods as they are cooked with bread crumbs, that is not taken up in the diet. Moreover, it is high in calories and low in nutritional value.
A Few Special Foods
- Try almond or peanut butter before going to bed: In case you are hungry, you can eat 1–2 tablespoons (15–30 ml) of almond butter or peanut butter. Else you can opt for almond milk slow carb diet. Try opting for almonds or peanuts ingredients products in your diet.
- Try fresh-squeezed lemon juice before taking up your meals: fresh-squeezed lemon juice will help in lowering down your blood sugar levels. Though, you should not take packed or store bought lemon juice which comprises of added sugars and preservatives.
- Use cinnamon: Using cinnamon in your meals can help in lowering down your blood sugar levels after you eat.
- Avoid Beans as they cause gas in your stomach: You can drain all the excess water from the beans or use dry beans in order to avoid the stomach discomfort.
As you need to repeat your meals as much as possible while following the slow-carb diet. So, here we have presented some meals that you can consume alternatively in those six consecutive days.
After waking up One should consume approx 30 gram of protein just within 30 minutes. And eggs are the source of protein that can be consumed in breakfast. Thus, depending upon this the ideal meal for breakfast can be:
- Smoothie with approx. 30 gram of protein residue
- 3 eggs (of approx. 16 gram) and 3 portions Canadian bacon (of approx. 13 gram)
- 2 eggs (of approx. 12 gram) with half cup of black beans (of approx. 20 gram), salsa and some guacamole
broccoli frittata (of approx. 30 gram or 5-6 eggs with some extra protein from the veggies) or 3 platefuls of spinach
The ideal meal for lunch can be:
- Tuna salad with a combination of spinach and somewhat other vegetable
- Fajita salad with combination of guacamole and some black beans
- Baked chicken with diverse vegetables
- Salad container at Chipotle that contains the corn salsa, with some bitter cream and the cheese and extra guacamole
- Mustard encrusted pork loin with spinach and the mushrooms
- Steak with ghee and applied asparagus or some green beans
- Tuna fish with mustard or you can eat salsa with a fresh salad of spinach
- Homemade burrito bowl: unused chicken breast, with some black beans, salsa, and guacamole
- Lentil stew
- The Beef and the chili bean
- Meat and curry vegetable
- The ideal meal for Dinner can be:
- Meshed fish, with some condensed veggies and lima beans
- Rotisserie chicken, a crosswise of spiced cauliflower and black beans
- Pork loin, with broccoli and lentils
The ideal meal for Beverages can be as follows which involve zero calories:
- Flavoured water with lemon or some vegetables of your choice
- Unsweetened beverages like tea can be taken up. Limit diet soda to one each day
- Coffee with cinnamon instead of taking cream or tea with lemon
- Diet soda up to maximum of 1 per day can be taken
- Red wine up to maximum of 1-2 glasses per day can be taken
How many carbs should one eat on a low-carb diet?
There is no specific amount of a carb diet that fits up a specific person. As it differs from person to person.
Although, in order to get the best rewards of a low-carb diet, some easy targets to be followed up are as:
- Modest low-carb – 100 gram net carbs or lower of it each day
- Low-carb – 50 gram net carbs each day
- Keto – 20 gram of net carbs each day, or less
Benefits of the slow-carb Diet
I. Increased Levels of ‘Good’ HDL Cholesterol:
High-density lipoprotein (HDL) is referred to as the “good” cholesterol in our body. The higher your levels of HDL as compared to the LDL, there is lower your risk of heart disease.
II. Effective Against Metabolic Syndrome:
The risk of diabetes and heart disease is associated with a condition called as Metabolic syndrome. The metabolic syndrome is a collection of symptoms, which includes the following:
- Abdominal obesity
- Elevated blood pressure
- Elevated fasting blood sugar levels
- High triglycerides
- Low “good” HDL cholesterol levels
And following and adopting a low-carb diet can reduce these all symptoms.
III. Improved ‘Bad’ LDL Cholesterol Levels:
A high “bad” LDL increases your chances of getting heart attacks. By taking low-carb diets the size of “bad” LDL particles increases and reduces the number of total LDL particles in your bloodstream.
IV. May Lower Blood Pressure:
Hypertension or high blood pressure can cause heart disease, stroke and kidney failure. And by adopting the Low-carb diets you can lower down your blood pressure, which indirectly reduces your risk of these diseases.
V. Reduced Blood Sugar and Insulin Levels:
people with diabetes and insulin resistance are benefited by following a low-carb diet. As cutting down the carbs in your diet lowers the blood sugar and insulin levels in the body.
VI. More Weight Loss:
A low carb diet helps to reduce weight as excess water from your body is removed, and the insulin levels are lower, that leads to rapid weight loss.
VII. Reduce Your Appetite:
By following a low carb diet, your hunger is controlled and managed in an effective way which in all helps in reducing your appetite and maintain a good calorie intake.
Low carb diet disadvantages:
One should properly follow the intake of nutrients on a slow carb diet, as it may make you sick and lead to the following:
- Bad breath.
- Weakness in the body.
- You can get Muscle cramps.
- Skin rash.
- Constipation or diarrhoea.
The slow-carb diet is effective for weight loss, by following five rules you can increase your metabolic rate and prevent fat storage. As you need to avoid the intake of carbs like sugars and grains and take some protein, vegetables and legumes in your diet plan. Moreover, there are no side effects involved while following a 4 hour body slow carb diet. So, you can follow this to prevent fat storage in your body. Stay tunes with addnutri to know more about nutrition, vitamins and diets.